Monday, January 17, 2011

On Being Pregnant

This is my first pregnancy.  There are a lot of things that I didn't and still don't know about.  But here are some of the things that I have discovered along the way.

1.  I have dreams just about every night.  They are very vivid dreams that I almost always remember when I wake up.  A few have been about the baby, including one in which I gave birth to a kitten that looked like a combination of our two cats.

2.  My belly gets in the way.  I know this may sound obvious, but I didn't realize how often at school or home I lean over to pick something up, move, or carry something.  Now that my belly sticks out, those things are much harder to do.

3.  I think the cats know something is up.  This may seem crazy to you, but over the past several months, our cat Luke, especially, has become more affectionate.  Now he will curl up on my chest right in front of my face and stay there for hours if I let him.  It's almost as if he knows in a few months he won't be able to get all that attention and he is trying to make up for future lost time.  Or, maybe there is not any room on my lap anymore and that is the only place left for him to lay down.

4.  I no longer sleep through the night.  Tom used to be so jealous.  I could be asleep about five minutes after I crawled into bed and not wake up until the alarm clock went off.  Now that I'm pregnant, I wake up at least once a night to use the bathroom.  And recently, I've started waking up more often because I'm just uncomfortable or my arm is asleep.  I know that this is only  going to get worse from here until Brees' born.  I guess my body is getting ready for the sleepless nights to come.

5.  I still wake up excited.  I'm in my seventh month of pregnancy.  But I still wake up in the morning with a tinge of excitement of what is to come.  I often wake up thinking, "I'm pregnant!"  Don't get me wrong, I'm scared and worried too.  But Tom and I are so excited to meet Brees and start our lives as a family of three.

3 comments:

  1. Rudi seemed to notice and being more attentive of me. I would let him out and leave the door open and he would come back to check on me instead of me calling him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, had SUCH vivid dreams! I miss them. And I love the part about waking up excited. You and Tom are going to be such great parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think about you two everyday and we are all excited about the baby! Bless Gary's heart for sending me your blog address.

    Love and miss you much.

    Aunt Chris

    ReplyDelete