Saturday, October 23, 2010

On Becoming a Drew Brees Fan

One thing no one told me in college is how important my last name would be as a teacher. Countless times a day I hear my students call me by my last name.  Since Tom and I work at the same school, my first initial also became important to distinguish which "Rees" you were referring to.  So, when I sent the e-mail to let my extended family know about our pregnancy, I titled the e-mail "B.Rees" to announce the coming of "Baby Rees."

Since then, we've shortened it to just Brees.  I've heard that many mothers and fathers-to-be have nicknames for their children before they learn the sex of the baby or pick a name.  I find it is much easier than using "he/she" or "the baby."  It's just more personal.

So when Tom was setting up our fantasy football team this year, we decided to name it Brees.  When our league auto-drafted, it selected Kyle Orton as our quarterback.  We were soon asked if we wanted to make a trade for Drew Brees.

And of course, we did.

1 comment: