Saturday, September 24, 2011

On The Preble County Pork Festival

Ever since I can remember, my family and I have spent the third weekend in September going to the Preble County Pork Festival.  It has always been a kind of family reunion for my Dad's side of the family, although many members of my mom's side also go.

My dad grew up on a hog farm in Ohio, and my grandparents helped start the Pork Festival to promote the sale of pork.  We knew it would be a fast weekend, but I didn't want to miss it.  

So, Tom and I left at 1:00 on Friday afternoon and started driving.

We weren't really prepared for the cool weather in West Virginia when we stopped at Tamarack for dinner.  We found what we had handy for Colleen which was a short sleeve onesie, leg warmers, and a hoodie.


We stopped again at a Bob's Evans for some dessert and an "on the road night time routine."  We changed her diaper and then after I nursed her in the car, Tom read her a story from the front seat.  We then tucked her into her car seat and covered her with a blanket.  She slept until we got to Ohio a little after midnight.

She was so happy to see Pop Pop.  (Nini was on an exciting trip to California with her mom to visit family).  We thought she might not go back to sleep.  But, she did.  She must have known that Saturday was going to be a big day.

All pretty in pink for the Pork Festival!

The smell.  When we are getting close to the fair grounds, I always open the window for the smell.  There is nothing like it.


There are also many arts and crafts vendors at the Pork Festival.  I've always thought of it as the beginning of fall and often find some nice fall decorations to buy.



The classic meeting spot.  We often meet family outside the smorgasbord line by the big rock.  This year, we met up with my dad, Kara, Andy, Sophie, Owen, James, and my Aunt Ellen.


The food, as always, was amazing.  The best sausage and pork chops you'll ever have and great homemade pie too!


Owen had a grand time climbing on the chairs.

My dad and his sister, Ellen.

Colleen hanging out with her Uncle Andy.

Colleen also got the chance to pet her first pig,

got her picture taken,

and got a cool sticker.

The day continued with a trip to Great Grandma Gebhart's house.  Including homemade ice cream and blackberry cobbler made with blackberries grown by my Uncle Roger.
Colleen loved the time with Aunt Kara,

Uncle Mark, 

Aunt Ellen,

and Great Grandma!

Last time I saw James, he was crawling.  Now, he is walking everywhere!

Tom and Sophie also got to hang out together.

Uncle Mark, Grandma, Roger, Ellen, and Dad.

Although the weekend went by too fast, I'm so glad we went.  There is nothing better than going home.




















No comments:

Post a Comment